Knife Making Class
In this two part class you will learn the basics of knife building and leave with a beautiful hand-made blade of high carbon steel.
What to expect:
Class price: $200
Maximum number of students in each class: 4
Minimum Age requirement: 18 years and up
Number of Classes: 2 sessions (Tuesday 6pm-9pm and Saturday 9am-12pm)
Length of each class: 3-4 hours
Basic Itinerary (This is a 2 day course):
- Shop and tool safety
- Basics of heat treating (why and how)
- Hand grinding and shaping of your knife
- How to design and craft a wooden handle
- Sharpening your blade
What we provide for the class:
- Billet of 1095 high carbon steel
- Assorted wood material for you to choose from to make the handle (you may bring in your own material if desired)
- All other tools and consumables needed for completion of a knife (brass pins, epoxy, etc.)
- Standard safety equipment
Because your safety is our primary concern, all students will be required to wear eye, ear, and respiratory protection for parts of the class.
After registration, you will be given more details on what to bring, wear, and expect for the duration of the class.
Times vary from class to class to fit a variety of schedules.
Day 1: How, what and why of heat treating. How to design, shape and harden steel
Day 2: Make handle, polish and sharpen knife.
Students are welcome to come in on Wed. between 5-8pm if they would like any additional time to work their knife in preparation for the Saturday session.
This will be a quick introductory class to show the process of knife making. If you are not a beginner, you may want to take our soon to be offered intermediate class.
To sign up for a class give us a call at any time!
Please leave a message and we will contact you as soon as possible to get your spot secured for this exciting class!